VICTORIA TO TAKE PART IN TRIALS OF MEDICINAL CANNABIS
- The Access to Medicinal Cannabis Bill that Victoria's parliament is set to debate this month could legalise medicinal cannabis products for severely ill patients.
- 10 kids from Victoria with severe epilepsy will take part in an ongoing international trial of synthetic cannabis.
- Victoria will join a NSW-led trial late this year of cannabis and cannabis-derived products for the terminally ill.
- If the Access to Medicinal Cannabis Bill passes, a cannabis cultivation trial will get underway with the first patients expected to be able to access products from 2017.
- Chemical structure different to THC (the active component of cannabis) but effects are similar to cannabis.
- Usually sold combined with herbs.
- Is a depressant drug, main active chemical is THC (delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol).
- Comes in three forms:
- Marijuana: the dried plant that's smoked
- Hashish: dried resin usually mixed with tobacco or added to foods
- Hash oil: a liquid usually added to the tip of a cigarette