Victoria's death toll rises as 273 new coronavirus cases emerge

Josh Dutton
·News Reporter
·2-min read

Victoria has recorded another 273 cases of coronavirus and another death from the infectious disease.

Premier Daniel Andrews told reporters on Sunday a man in his 70s had died overnight.

“I can't provide you with any further information about the specifics of that particular individual, but, of course, we send our best wishes and assure that family that our thoughts and prayers are with them,” the premier said.

“This will be a very, very difficult time for them.”

A man walks through a usually bustling shopping arcade in Melbourne as the city re-enters a lockdown after a fresh outbreak of the COVID-19 coronavirus.
A man walks through an empty Melbourne shopping arcade. Source: Getty Images

He is Victoria’s 24th death due to the coronavirus.

The latest figures come after the state reported a spike of 216 cases on Saturday and 288 on Friday.

‘Common sense will get us through’

Mr Andrews said it’s a “very challenging time” for Victorians but he’s noticed people are following the rules and remaining in lockdown.

Last week, Victoria shut down Metro Melbourne and Mitchell Shire. Residents in these areas can only leave home for four reasons: exercise, work, to buy essential items and to provide care to someone.

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews speaks to the media during a press conference in Melbourne.
Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews has implored residents to follow lockdown rules to stop the spread of coronavirus. Source: AAP (file pic)

“I know we are asking a lot of Victorians, but we simply have no choice but to acknowledge the reality that we face and to do what must be done, and that is to follow those rules, to only go out when you need to, and to only go out for the purposes that are lawful,” Mr Andrews said.

“It is not an opportunity to go shopping each and every day for things that you don't need. It is about just using common sense. Common sense – that is what will get us through.”

Classrooms closed on Monday

Students were meant to go back to school on Monday but school holidays have been extended for an extra week with five pupil free days for prep to Year 10.

From July 20, prep to Year 10 will be taught at home or with flexible arrangements for the children of essential workers.

Commuters walk outside the usually bustling Flinders Street station in Melbourne.
Melbourne's iconic Flinders Street station in lockdown. Source: Getty Images

“The first thing I want to say is I know this will be very, very challenging for many, many parents,” Mr Andrews said.

“There is simply no alternative but to go to this footing.

“We can't have the best part of 700,000 students as well as parents moving to and from school, moving around the community, as if there wasn't a stay at home order, as if there wasn't a lockdown.”

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.