Victoria's $2.5m for COVID medico recruits

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·2-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.

Victoria will spend $2.5 million to recruit up to 1000 extra healthcare workers who are living overseas, to support the state's struggling health system.

Sixty per cent of the recruits will be Australians who have been wanting to move back, Health Minister Martin Foley announced on Tuesday, with 40 per cent international workers.

They will be nurses, doctors, midwives and allied health workers and will arrive between November and March, Mr Foley said.

All 1000 workers have already been contracted to different public health services in the state.

He said the extra support was needed due to a record number of patients in hospitals and ambulance services, which will increase as the state reopens in coming weeks.

The state has already seen about 130 overseas healthcare workers added to the system since August.

Among those recruits are South African husband and wife duo Dr Marcelle Jaffa and Dr Charlotte Jaffa, who have arrived in Melbourne from Cape Town with their three young children.

They are working at Epping's Northern Hospital and described the efforts of local healthcare workers as "heroic".

"We are very glad to see that the same drive, passion and commitment towards giving quality health care despite working under immense pressure mirrored," Dr Charlotte Jaffa told reporters.

She said the couple had witnessed first-hand the devastation of COVID-19 through the loss of friends, relatives and colleagues.

But Dr Jaffa was also confident Victoria, which on Tuesday recorded a further 1466 cases and eight additional deaths, could learn from experience garnered overseas.

"Australia is very lucky in the fact they've had a little of bit of a buffer and time to see what was going on in the rest of the world, to learn from experiences, see what mistakes were made and improve on that," she said.

Another overseas recruit, Dr Laura Carter, joined Western Health's Sunshine emergency department three weeks ago from the United Kingdom.

She had been on the frontline dealing with patients entering the UK healthcare system with COVID-19 last year and warned the virus does not discriminate as to who gets sick.

Dr Carter described Victoria's move to prioritise human life over economics through lockdowns as inspiring and one that would ensure the state was well equipped to combat any further surge in cases.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting