The operator of an ice skating rink in regional Victoria has been fined $50,000 after two children were hospitalised following exposure to unsafe levels of carbon monoxide.
Visitors to the Winter Wonderland rink in Wodonga were told to leave after others developed headaches and became nauseous in June 2019.
Two children, including one who twice lost consciousness, required oxygen treatment at hospital.
A WorkSafe investigation found carbon monoxide emissions in the exhaust from an LPG-powered ice resurfacing machine, that was regularly used to polish the rink, exceeded recommended levels.
Kenneth Charles Jensen was convicted of failing to ensure, so far as reasonably practicable, that the workplace and the means of entering and leaving it were safe and without risks to health.
He was fined $50,000 and ordered to pay costs of $3752.