Victoria records two new locally acquired Covid cases

·Assistant News Editor
·3-min read

Victoria has recored two new locally acquired cases of Covid-19 on Monday

The two positive cases came from 16,932 tests conducted in the past 24 hours, as authorities raise concerns about testing numbers dropping off over the long weekend. 

Both new cases are linked to a known previous case of coronavirus and have already been isolating.

"The two new locally-acquired cases are primary close contacts of existing cases, with no community exposure during their infectious period," the health department said Monday morning.

It comes as restrictions are expected to be eased later this week with 64 active cases in Victoria.

Four new cases have also entered hotel quarantine in the state.

Woman crosses tram tracks wearing mask.
Melbourne's restrictions are expected to ease further in the coming days. Source: AAP

Speaking to reporters on Monday afternoon, Health Minister Martin Foley revealed the two cases were both children. 

"One is a contact of a positive case that we reported last week linked to the reservoir householder, and one is a contact of the city of Melbourne case that we announce over the weekend," he said.

Investigations are continuing as to the source of the reservoir family of four last week, he added.

Victoria's Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton on Sunday said Melbourne was "on track" to further ease restrictions later in the week, though "exactly what that will look like is to be determined".

Health officials say a high level of testing must continue for them to have confidence that Covid clusters which triggered the state's fourth lockdown are under control.

On Monday, Mr Foley urged people to keep coming forward for testing.

"The reality is that we need the confidence … to make sure that we capture all of the surrounds of these outbreaks and run down their various branches," he said.

“That is why the 16,930 test that we recorded yesterday were very welcome, but we still would like to see increased numbers.”

Woolworths, McDonald's among new exposure sites

The Victorian health department added new Covid exposure sites to the list over the weekend, including the Freshwater Place office building in Southbank which was listed as a tier 2 exposure site on Sunday after it was visited multiple times by a potentially infectious person last week. 

The building was listed as an exposure site on June 11 from 8.40am to 9.25am and again from 4.50pm to 5.40pm, June 10 from 8.40am to 9.25am and again from 4.50pm to 5.30pm, and June 9 from 8.40am to 9.25am and again from 4.35pm to 5.30pm.

Anyone who attended the location during these times is asked to get tested and isolate pending a test result.

On Saturday, Woolworths Melbourne Square, McDonald’s Freshwater Place, Medibank in Docklands and the Boyd Community Hub in Southbank were also added as tier 2 exposure sites, with the Boyd Community Hub Maternal Child & Family Health Services listed as a more concerning tier 1 exposure site. 

The Boyd Community Hub and Woolworths Melbourne Square were exposed to Covid on June 8 and the McDonald's store on June 11, while Medibank Docklands was visited by a potentially infectious person back on May 18.

See the full list and times of exposure sites here

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting