Victoria has recorded no new locally acquired cases of Covid-19, just its second so-called donut day since lockdown restrictions were imposed late last month.
The promising result came from 15,067 test results in the 24-hour period to Tuesday, a relatively low number despite health officials urging people to come forward for testing.
There are a further three more cases in the state's hotel quarantine system, the health department said, while there are 54 active cases remaining in Victoria as of Tuesday morning.
On social media, many Melburnians were quick to celebrate the news, which is the second donut day in a week after Victoria also recorded no daily new cases on Friday last week.
On Monday, two new positive cases were detected in children of known cases who were already in isolation.
One is linked to the Reservoir household reported last week, with authorities still investigating a transmission link to the family, while the other is linked to a man who tested positive at a Southbank townhouse complex.
Residents of the complex in Southbank, in Melbourne's CBD, were also ordered to isolate over the weekend for up to a fortnight after officials established a link between two coronavirus cases who live there.
Authorities believe an aged care worker infected the man, aged in his 30s, in a common area of the low-rise complex, prior to testing positive.
Speaking to reporters on Monday afternoon, following a day of nearly 17,000 tests, Health Minister Martin Foley said authorites need to see a higher rate of testing to have confidence the outbreaks have been controlled.
"The reality is that we need the confidence … to make sure that we capture all of the surrounds of these outbreaks and run down their various branches," he said.
“That is why the 16,930 test that we recorded yesterday [Sunday] were very welcome, but we still would like to see increased numbers.”
Do you have a story tip? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org