VICTORIA'S NEW BAIL SYSTEM
- Volunteer bail justices will no longer handle serious matters after-hours.
- Magistrates will be on call to handle such offences.
- A Night Court will be established to handle more after-hours bail and remand matters.
- Former Supreme Court judge and Director of Public Prosecutions Paul Coghlan will review the bail system.
- The review will balance the presumption of innocence with the need to protect the community.
- It will also look at exceptional circumstances, show cause and unacceptable risk tests.
- The review findings are due by April 3.
- The previous coalition government made it an offence to breach bail.
- The current Labor government created a presumption against allowing bail for home invasion and carjacking offences.