The addition of 50 deaths to Victoria's toll has authorities on the back foot again over the cumbersome bureaucracy around reporting aged care coronavirus deaths.
Victoria reported 59 deaths on Friday, easily Australia's highest daily coronavirus toll.
But only six were in the past 24 hours and another three were earlier this month.
The rest were from July and August as private aged care providers, and commonwealth and Victorian officials work through reconciling the deaths.
Additions of previous deaths in daily Department of Health and Human Services statistics has been occurring throughout this week, but Friday's number is the highest.
Premier Daniel Andrews is unable to say when the numbers will be brought up to date.
"I'm not suggesting that it is (acceptable)," Mr Andrews said.
"We would prefer that all the data aligned in an instantaneous fashion.
"But it's appropriate that once you have done that work that you report faithfully and as accurately as you possibly can, and that's exactly what we're doing."
The premier bristled at a suggestion some aged care deaths are only being added to the coronavirus toll now because the DHHS was overwhelmed in July and August as it dealt with the height of the second outbreak.
"That is completely inaccurate," he said.
The state toll has now soared past 600 to 650, pushing the national figure to 737.
Friday's figure surpasses the previous Australian daily record of 41 deaths, on August 31.
Eight of the latest nine deaths are also aged care-related.
There was some good news on Friday, with new cases dropping to 81 after Thursday's spike of 113.
"This is the stubborn tail of the epidemic curve," Victorian Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton said.
He says modelling suggests cases should keep dropping by five or 10 per day.
Testing numbers are also back up above 20,000 after several days of lower numbers to 25,031.
Authorities have said repeatedly the testing figure needs to stay high as they work out when they can start easing the state's restrictions.
The mixed news on virus statistics comes two days before the announcement of Victoria's much-anticipated "roadmap" out of lockdown.
Mr Andrews will announce separate pathways for how and when Melbourne and regional Victoria will come out of respective stage four and three lockdowns.
There is no confirmation yet that any restrictions will be eased on September 13 and Mr Andrews is not deviating from his pre-set timeline for unveiling the government's strategy.
On Friday, he spoke about ongoing calls from Victorian business for the lockdown rules to be eased as quickly as possible, pointing to the risk of another outbreak if it happens too quickly.
"We are listening. We hear you, but the notion of being open for just a couple of weeks, that's not a decision I'm going to make," he said.
Also on Friday, Victorian Treasurer Tim Pallas announced the state ban on evictions and rental hikes would be extended until March 28 next year because of the economic impact of the virus.
He also did not rule out a further extension.
"We've put in place arrangements that essentially give the presumption that the tenant can have the security of knowing that they can stay in the property, provided they act lawfully," he said.
"(But) there are provisions where landlords can access orders from VCAT in order to change those assumptions."