Manhunt underway after record $900M ice haul in Victoria

A manhunt is underway in Melbourne after an ice haul, valued at almost $900 million, was discovered hidden in a shipment of floorboards.

Australia's biggest single seizure of crystal methamphetamine has helped police eliminate "17 million hits of misery" from the streets.

A 53-year-old Blackburn man and a 36-year-old Doncaster man have been charged with trafficking in a commercial quantity of illegal narcotics.

Police on Wednesday released photos of two men they are hunting who may know more about the drug syndicate behind the ice shipment.

Police are still looking for these two men, seen frequenting the Box Hill area. Source: Victoria Police

  • [Record ice bust stops '17 million hits of misery' after 900kg seizure| Record ice bust stops '17 million hits of misery' after 900kg seizure]

Victoria Police Assistant Commissioner Stephen Fontana said the massive ice haul highlighted the scale of Australia's illicit drug problem.

"If you look at this particular seizure, 900kg of methamphetamine and if we look at the joint agency outcomes in Victoria alone for this year, this takes it up to 1.7 tonne of methamphetamine alone," he said

"That's not including seizures of cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine, MDMA and other drugs we have been seizing in large quantities as a result of our joint operations."

The drugs were found packed into floorboards. Source: Australian Federal Police

Each floorboard held around 2kg of methamphetamine. Source: Australian Federal Police

The use of floorboards was described by police as "quite unique" and complex.

Two kilos of ice was hidden between each of the floorboards, which were discovered in a warehouse in Nunawading in Melbourne's east in February.

Police had been working on tip-offs gathered during an investigation that began in January into a drug syndicate, which resulted in the seizure of 40kg of methamphetamine, 175,000 cigarettes and also $140,000 in cash and other contraband.

The ice is believed to have been shipped from Asia and police say they "are confident" they know who is responsible.

Police are searching for this Nissan coupe. Source: Victoria Police

The 36-year-old man charged in relation to the haul is due to face Melbourne Magistrates' Court on June 2, while his 53-year-old co-accused is due in the same court on June 8.

Police are also trying to find a white Nissan coupe believed to be associated with the warehouse where the ice was found.

Anyone with information is encouraged to call Crime Stoppers 1800 333 000 or use the Crime Stoppers online reporting page.

Back To Top