Two more men have been arrested in connection with the murder of 22-year-old Victorian woman Sarah Cafferkey.

Homicide squad detectives arrested a 32-year-old man, from Tarneit, and a 34-year-old man, from Point Cook, at a property in Tarneit, Melbourne's west, at around midday today.

A police spokeswoman could not provide further details, beyond confirming the arrests and that the men were now "assisting police with their inquiries".

Candlelit vigil for Sarah

The arrests come as residents in Point Cook, where Ms Cafferkey's body was found, prepare to pay tribute to her at a candlelit vigil tonight.

Locals say they want to show respect to the young Bacchus Marsh woman and her family.

Ms Cafferkey was stabbed to death and her body was found dumped in a wheelie bin at a Point Cook home, in Melbourne's outer south-west, in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Sarah's kill accused Steven Hunter was arrested at an apartment block in Hawthorn on Tuesday. Photo: 7News

Steven James Hunter, 47, has been charged with her murder.

Hunter made a brief appearance at Melbourne Magistrates Court yesterday where he was remanded in custody until a committal mention on March 27 next year.

Grisly details emerge in Sarah's murder

An out-of-sessions hearing at the St Kilda Road police complex late on Tuesday was told Hunter, from Bacchus Marsh, had made admissions to police over Ms Cafferkey's murder.

Detective Senior Constable Damien O'Mahoney, of the Homicide Squad, told the hearing Ms Cafferkey had been stabbed "multiple times" on November 10 at a flat in Simpson Street, Bacchus Marsh, before her body was taken to the Point Cook house where police found it during a raid in the early hours of Sunday.

"Her body was moved from Bacchus Marsh to Fongeo Drive, Point Cook, and placed in a wheelie bin," Det Snr Const O'Mahoney said.

Hunter appeared barefoot and dressed in a white forensic jumpsuit for Tuesday night's three-minute hearing; his clothing having been seized for forensic testing.

Grisly details emerge in Sarah Cafferkey's murder. Photo: Sarah Cafferkey.

Ms Cafferkey was last seen by her family on November 9.

Homicide police took over the investigation into her disappearance after her car was found in a suburban Maribyrnong street late on Tuesday, with bank records showing she had not accessed her accounts since going missing.

Hunter was arrested at a block of flats in Hawthorn on Tuesday afternoon by heavily armed special operations group police and undercover officers.

More than a dozen officers surrounded the units and called on the 47-year-old to give himself up.

Witnesses say he quickly emerged without incident, looking dishevelled in shorts, an ACT Brumbies rugby shirt and no shoes.

Latest From 7News