Paramedics were called to a house where a baby boy was trapped with his dead mother but left when they got no reply, it has emerged.

The dehydrated and hungry little boy was taken to hospital after being found alongside his 25-year-old mother's body at an apartment in Tongue Street, in Melbourne's west, about 9pm (AEST) on Tuesday.

It is believed Jemima Burton may have died on Monday, and her 15-month-old son, Toby, left alone in distress and without food or drink for two days, before emergency crews arrived.

An autopsy was carried out this afternoon and it's believed Ms Burton, originally from Hobart, Tasmania, died from a drug overdose.

Police confirmed this afternoon her death was not being treated as suspicious, and homicide detectives were no longer involved.

It also emerged today that several people, including an ambulance crew, had made welfare checks to the apartment on Monday, but left when no one answered the door.

Paramedics said the little boy was taken to the Royal Melbourne Hospital, and released earlier today in a 'satisfactory' condition.

Sergeant Mark Anderson from Footscray Police said the little boy was found in his pyjamas on the lounge room floor close to his mother's body.

He said he was in need of food and a nappy change, but otherwise in reasonably good health.

"He was very clingy, he didn’t want to let go of anyone who was holding him," Sergeant Anderson said.

"He was grateful that someone had come to give him some food and water."

Sergeant Anderson said the unit was tidy and his mother fully clothed with no signs of injury.

He said police had been called to the property on previous occasions, but it is not believed prior visits were connected to the death.

Neighbour Brenton Dohse said he was deeply saddened by the woman’s death.

"She was a lovely girl. She would often walk past my house with her little son.

"She lived alone with her son. She absolutely doted on that little boy, loved him.

"It’s tragic what’s happened. My wife and I feel for her and her family."

He said paramedics knocked on the door yesterday and left when there was no answer.

"I assumed she must have been out with her son. So, if she died on Monday then that’s really sad."

Seven News understands the little boy is in the care of family members.

Latest From 7News