Vic man treated day before police shooting

·2-min read

A Victorian man was discharged from hospital despite his deteriorating mental health a day before he was shot dead by police, a coroner has been told.

Gabriel Messo, who had diagnosed bipolar, was fatally shot in the chest three times at John Coutts Reserve in Melbourne's north on the afternoon of July 16, 2020.

The 30-year-old had been in the middle of a violent 17-minute assault against his mother Lilla when the police officer arrived on scene.

State Coroner John Cain, who is investigating Gabriel's death, was told the 30-year-old was brought to the Royal Melbourne Hospital under police guard on the morning of July 15.

He was appearing either drug-affected or in a psychotic episode when he was arrested after an incident at his aunt and uncle's house earlier that morning.

Dr Amelia Scharkie assessed Gabriel at the hospital and treated him for a cut to his nose but ultimately determined he was safe to be discharged.

In her evidence to the coroners court on Monday, Dr Scharkie said she was aware Gabriel had diagnosed bipolar but he had appeared stable and denied any suicidal or homicidal thoughts.

She could not recall whether she was given further medical notes about Gabriel's history of hospital presentations or the fact he had spoken to a mental health clinician a day prior.

Dr Scharkie, who was given a certificate from the coroner so her evidence couldn't be used against her in court, also could not recall seeing any police officers near Gabriel.

Gabriel was discharged to the Broadmeadows Police Station later that morning where he was subsequently released on bail.

He attacked his mother at the John Coutts Reserve the next day.

Mrs Messo was taken to hospital with life-threatening injuries after she went into cardiac arrest four times.

She survived the attack but now lives with an acquired brain injury.

The inquest is looking at the circumstances surrounding Gabriel's death - his mental health treatment, his arrest on July 15, and the actions of Victoria Police.

The inquest continues on Tuesday.

Lifeline 13 11 14

beyondblue 1300 22 4636

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting