Victoria's new coronavirus roadmap could well spell the end for Colombian restaurateur John Gomez.
Mr Gomez, who runs La Tienda, is not the only business owner in Melbourne's Chapel Street precinct living on the brink after Premier Daniel Andrews extended stage four restrictions for another fortnight.
"The industry is bleeding. We don't even know if we're going to be open in November," Mr Gomez told AAP on Monday.
Melbourne's hard lockdown will remain until September 28, the premier announced on Sunday, although from September 14 the nightly curfew will start an hour later at 9pm and run until 5am.
But sales at La Tienda are down by 80 per cent over the last three months, Mr Gomez said, with a reliance on takeaway and home delivery not sustainable.
Unable to access JobKeeper payments due to mainly employing international students, he has also had to cut his staff from 12 people to five.
With time running out, Mr Gomez wants to see Melbourne establishments allowed to continue trading under the same conditions that operated between the first and second lockdown.
Will Newton, the owner of nearby cocktail lounge Lover, agrees.
Mr Newton said while the roadmap announcement was "soul destroying" for business owners such as himself, he doesn't envy the premier's job.
"There's no point opening now because everyone is sick of it and then going back into lockdown," he said.
"We've been given dates now and we're thankful for that ... but we need an industry-specific plan to trade out of this."
Mr Newton, who has had to furlough 12 staff members, said he hoped the state government could work with local governments to thrash out outdoor dining regulations that are more pragmatic.
Christian Ruggeri has opened the doors of his Kaya health club on Chapel Street for just 16 days since March 23.
Despite offering free online yoga, Pilates and fitness classes, his membership numbers are still down by 35 per cent.
Mr Ruggeri's main concern is the mental health of his clientele. He wants to be able to offer them on-site classes of 10 people, as happened under stage two restrictions earlier in the year.
"It's beyond business at this point," he said. "I just need us to reopen to provide our members with a sense of community and purpose."
With Victorian businesses railing against the government's roadmap, fuel supplier Viva Energy announced it might be forced to shut down the Geelong refinery to curtail losses.
According to media reports, the company is set to announce next month whether it can continue operating the refinery, amid financial losses caused by the pandemic.