Vic Libs reject 'ISIS brides' resettlement

The impending resettlement of more relatives of Islamic State fighters has reared as a Victorian election issue, with the state opposition objecting.

A group of 17 Australian women and children who have been in the al-Roj camp in Syria since the fall of the terrorist group in 2019 arrived in Sydney on Saturday after a secret operation.

The Albanese government last month confirmed a rescue plan for 16 women and 42 children who are family of IS members.

A second group is expected to be rescued and resettled in Sydney within weeks but another cohort bound for Melbourne is unlikely to arrive until after the November 26 poll, Nine Newspapers report.

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews wouldn't be drawn on whether he or his ministers had discussed resettlement plans with the Albanese government.

But he poured cold water on speculation a decision had been delayed until after Victorians cast their ballots, as his Labor government seeks a third successive term in office.

"Nonsense. Absolute nonsense," he told reporters in Ballarat.

Opposition Leader Matthew Guy said the state coalition doesn't support the "so-called ISIS brides" and their children being resettled in Victoria, in keeping with concerns raised by federal counterparts.

"While I feel for some of them, and particularly their children, we cannot compromise the safety and security of Victorians," he wrote on social media.

A spokesman for Home Affairs Minister Clare O'Neil would not confirm a group would be resettled in Victoria, but told AAP the timing of the initial repatriations was based on national security advice.

Home Affairs secretary Mike Pezzullo told a Senate estimates committee last month there were still Australian women and children in Syrian camps.

Australia's rescue effort comes after Germany, France and Denmark brought their citizens home from Syria.