Vic coalition promises stamp duty cut

The Victorian coalition is pledging to cut stamp duty to help thousands of families buy their first home if it wins the state election.

Opposition Leader Matthew Guy says that under the plan, from January 1 about 7000 families will be granted a fee exemption for property purchases up to $1 million for one year.

The Labor government already offers zero stamp duty for first-home buyers on properties that are $600,000 or less. However a reduced stamp duty fee is charged as the cost of the home increases to $750,000.

"One of the barriers for younger people particularly to get into the homeowner market as first-home buyers is of course stamp duty," Mr Guy told reporters on Sunday.

"So we want to make that easier. We want to help with younger people getting into the housing market and of course provide a bit of a stimulus to the market that is certainly starting to suffer with the way the economy is going, in the way interest rates are looking."

Opposition housing spokesman Richard Riordan said by cutting stamp duty, first-home buyers would save up to $55,000, which they can use to put towards their deposit.

Meanwhile, Premier Daniel Andrews on Sunday announced investigators were working to determine whether a cyber attack on a tech company used by the Victorian government has affected thousands of families.

PNORS Technology Group, which works with several state departments including the Department of Education and Training, was targeted by hackers on Thursday.

The breach might have exposed medical records and answers for The School Entrant Health Questionnaire, which is completed by nearly all families in the state.

Mr Andrews said it was unclear whether any personal data had been compromised.

"It's not determined yet, it's not definitive but there's the potential for a breach," Mr Andrews told reporters.

The Department of Premier and Cabinet is working with PNORS to determine the extent of the information breach and to prevent further incidents.

PNORS chief executive Paul Gallo said there were new developments on Saturday and the extent of the data breach was still being investigated.

"In the early hours of Saturday morning, the criminals behind the cyber attack released to the company, in a private communication, a sample of what is believed to be stolen data," Mr Gallo said in a statement on Sunday.

"We followed strict privacy protocols and notified the Office of Australian Information Commissioner to disclose the data breach. The extent of the data breach is still being investigated and we are working closely with all authorities to assess how many of our clients have been impacted and the nature of the data that has been stolen."

Also on Sunday, Labor announced a $37 million election pledge for the Victorian Veterans Card to help veterans during the cost of living crisis.

More than 90,000 veterans would be entitled to a $100 discount on the registration of one vehicle, as well as free public transport on Anzac Day and Remembrance Day.

Veterans Minister Shaun Leane said the state government would increase support for veterans if it won the November 26 election.

"Veterans' contributions don't end when they leave the defence force. Only Labor will support them to retrain and reskill because they still have so much to give to our community," Mr Leane said.

It comes after Mr Andrews on Saturday addressed questions about his role in awarding two grants worth $3.4 million to the Health Services Union in 2018.

The Independent Broad-based Anti-corruption Commission is investigating the matter, marking the fourth corruption probe Mr Andrews has been linked to during his time in office.

"Regardless of any smear, innuendo or media reporting based on anonymous sources, the only IBAC matters I will comment on are those that are the subject of a final report, as is appropriate and has always been my practice," he said in a statement.