Two popular pet products have been recalled over fears they could cause serious injuries, or even death, to our favourite four-legged friends and to children.
Product Safety Australia (PSA) has recalled two NERF dog toys and a light up collar and leash after they were found to have been sold without the warning information required for products with button or coin batteries.
“There is a risk of choking, severe internal burn injuries or death to young children if they gain access to the button/coin batteries and swallow or place them inside their body,” a PSA statement about the products said.
“Severe or fatal injuries can happen in 2 hours or less.”
Button batteries are also dangerous for dogs due to the risk of electrical currents damaging the lining of the stomach or small intestine if eaten.
NERF is recalling both its Dog 4-inch Megaton LED ball with the barcode number 846998042291 and its Dog 12-inch Megaton LED vortex with the barcode number 846998042307 over the concerns.
The products have been sold at BigW across the nation and online from June 2022 to April 2023.
The following pet collar and safety leash with coloured LED glow lights from Autotecnica Imports have been recalled:
SJ-228B – Pet collar LED blue medium
SJ-230B – Pet collar LED blue large
SJ-230R – Pet collar LED red large
SJ-241 – Pet safety leash LED blue
SJ-242 – Pet safety leash LED red
The collars and leashes were sold at Supercheap Auto, Autobarn and Active Auto Sportique stores online and in NSW, Queensland and Victoria from June 2022 to October 2023.
Consumers have been warned to stop using the products immediately and keep them out of the reach of children.
For a full refund, consumers are urged to contact the store they purchased the products from.