Upfront cash so unemployed move for work

·1-min read

Job seekers will soon be given upfront cash payments so they can move for work, in a policy tweak that demonstrates the Morrison government's workforce relocation policies have been a flop.

Eligible job seekers will get up to $2000 upfront from May if they move to a new location for ongoing work.

The government has been trying to lure job hunters to regional Australians but the program has not worked as it required people with little savings to fork out money in order to move.

Employment Minister Stuart Robert says many Australians are still trying to find work as the economy recovers.

"We've also spoken to employers who are finding it difficult to secure the labour they need, especially in regional areas," he said in a statement on Wednesday.

'These changes ensure that all job seekers eligible for relocation assistance, not just those in financial hardship, can get upfront support when they take up an offer of ongoing work, including for ongoing jobs in the agricultural sector."

The government is also lowering the threshold for eligible unemployed people to access the payments when moving for work.

Job seekers will get help relocating for jobs offering at least 20 hours a week, instead of the existing threshold of 30 hours.

"All job seekers are immediately eligible to gain access to this support on commencement in employment services, rather than after 12 months of unemployment as was previously the case," Mr Robert said.