'I had to watch him die': Teen boy dies after cheese sandwich 'flicked in his mouth'

Yahoo UK

A teenage schoolboy severely allergic to dairy died after cheese from a sandwich was allegedly flicked into his mouth.

Homicide police are now investigating after Karanbir Cheema, 13, suffered a reaction following the incident at William Perkin C of E High School in Greenford, West London, on June 28.

After 12 days in intensive care at Great Ormond Street Hospital, Karanbir, known as Karan to his friends, died on Sunday.

A boy of 13 has been arrested in connection with the incident.

Karanbir Cheema, 13, died after spending nearly two weeks in hospital from an allergic reaction from a cheese. Source: Supplied

Amarjeet Cheema, Karan’s father, told the Evening Standard he “wants answers”.

“We were in hospital I had to watch him die, no parent should have to go through that. While he was in hospital we were fully concentrated on his condition. Now we want answers. How could this have happened?” he told the newspaper.

It has been alleged Karanbir had the food flicked into his mouth.

One pupil tweeted on the day he incident took place: “A boy in the class bought himself a cheese sandwich and another boy asked to have a piece of it.

Another student at the school said the cheese was flicked at the boy's mouth. Source: Supplied

“He gave the cheese to him thinking that he would eat it but instead he flicked it at Karan.

“People are saying that it hit his lip, which he then licked by accident.”

The Met’s Homicide and Major Crime Command are currently treating the tragedy as “unexplained” and are waiting to discover the cause of death.

The school’s executive head Alice Hudson said: “Karan had many friends who are devastated, as are the staff.

Police spoke with another student from the William Perkin C of E High School in Greenford.

“He was a bright and keen student who excelled in Maths. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family.”

Scotland Yard said in a statement: “A 13-year-old boy, a pupil at the same school, was arrested on Wednesday, June 28, and interviewed in connection with the incident.

“He has been bailed to return on a date in late July.

The incident has since been handed over to the Homicide and Major Crime Command.