'He will kill someone': UFC world erupts over champ's latest arrest

Jon Jones was charged with several vehicle and gun-related offences after being arrested in New Mexico. Pic: Twitter

With vast swathes of the USA in coronavirus quarantine, notorious UFC bad boy Jon Jones has still found a way to fall foul of the law.

Jones, the UFC light heavyweight champion who is widely regarded as the greatest mixed martial arts fighter of all-time, was arrested in New Mexico early Thursday and charged with numerous offences.

'WEAKEST PEOPLE’: UFC boss' ugly rant amid virus controversy

KEEPING BUSY: What the world's sporting superstars are doing during hiatus

These included aggravated DWI (driving while intoxicated), negligent use of a firearm, no proof of insurance in the vehicle and possession of an open container.

MMA Fighting reported that Jones performed poorly on a field sobriety test and then tested at or above the legal limit.

The latest arrest is the latest in a long list of controversies for Jon Jones. Pic: Getty

In New Mexico, the blood alcohol content limit is 0.08.

Officers responded to a report of gunshots. When they arrived, they found Jones in his car with the engine running.

He reportedly denied knowledge of gunshots. The police report noted officers said Jones showed signs of intoxication, and admitted he had been driving earlier.

“UFC is aware of the situation regarding Jon Jones in Albuquerque early this morning,” the UFC said in a statement.

“The organization has been in contact with Jones’ management team and is currently gathering additional information.”

The incident is a latest in a long line that have marred Jones’ career. He pleaded guilty to DUI in 2012 and in 2015, pleaded guilty to leaving the scene of an accident in Albuquerque. He was arrested on a charge of battery in Albuquerque last year.

Jones also was suspended from competition twice for failing anti-doping tests.

News of Jones' latest arrest for allegedly driving under the influence - among other charges - has seen fans savage the fighter with a combination of outrage, disbelief and mockery on social media.

On March 19, 2011, he became the youngest champion in UFC history when he knocked out Mauricio “Shogun” Rua in the third round of a fight at the Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey.

He is 26-1 with one no contest, and the only loss on his record was a disqualification that many believe was an error made by the referee.

His no-contest was originally a knockout victory over arch rival Daniel Cormier at UFC 214 on July 29, 2017. But it was changed to a no-contest after he failed an anti-doping test.

Jones’ most recent fight was a controversial decision victory over Dominick Reyes on February 8 in Houston.

Conor McGregor makes massive donation to Irish hospitals

While Jones deals with his latest legal issues, fellow UFC stars are figuring out how to deal with global coronavirus pandemic.

Conor McGregor is one of the latest stars to make a massive donation to help fight the crisis in his native Ireland.

The 31-year-old is chipping in €1 million (A$1.8 million) worth of supplies to local hospitals, which have become overburdened by the spread of the deadly virus.

Conor McGregor has chipped in one million euros to help Irish hospitals treat coronavirus patients. Pic: Getty

McGregor made the announcement while sharing screenshots of direct messages he shared with Irish Finance Minister Paschal Donohoe, who had asked the 31-year-old to help encourage his fans to practice social distancing.

“Today I am purchasing myself €1 million worth of personal protective equipment to be deployed to all the fighting hospitals in the Leinster region, our most affected region to this date,” McGregor wrote, in part.

“Where we would be without these brave men and women, I do not know. May God bless over them and keep them safe!”

As of Wednesday afternoon, there were more than 1,500 confirmed cases of the coronavirus in Ireland, according to The New York Times, and nearly 450,000 cases worldwide. McGregor has been vocal amid the pandemic, and urged Irish leaders to introduce a “full lockdown” to help curb the spread of the coronavirus.

“This fight needs us all,” McGregor said in a video on Facebook on Tuesday. “We are all in the red corner together awaiting the bell. So let’s gather together and ring the bell ourselves, including the people of the rest of the world. True lockdown must begin, and it must begin now. A lockdown together. A lockdown united … It is time for a full lockdown, and we are ready.”

McGregor last stepped into the Octagon in January, where he knocked out Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone in just 40 seconds at UFC 246 in Las Vegas.

He said shortly after that bout that he hoped to fight again before summer, however those plans will likely be scrapped due to the coronavirus pandemic, which has seemingly paralyzed the sports world.

With Yahoo Sports US