Tyrrell search to go for 'weeks and weeks'

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·1-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.

The search for the remains of William Tyrrell is entering its second week on the mid-north coast of NSW and the state's police commissioner says it will continue despite "particularly challenging weather conditions".

More than 30 specialist police have continued combing a one square kilometre area on Monday despite torrential rain that has hampered the search since last week.

NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller says investigations will continue "until investigators believe that job is done".

More than 15 tonnes of soil has been taken to a lab for analysis and Mr Fuller says it could be "weeks and weeks of searching through that before we have any answers".

Police have already sent "material and other things found up there that would be foreign to normal bushlands" away for DNA testing.

More than 40mm of rain has fallen in the area in the past 24 hours and Mr Fuller told a press conference in Canberra police could still be looking for "a number of weeks" and there are still "lots of questions that need to be answered".

"A big part of that is either locating his body or remains of his body at Kendall.

"We want to be certain that the search is being done as thoroughly as possible," Mr Fuller said.

The first week of the search saw bushland creeks drained and ground-penetrating radar scanning concrete slabs at the Kendall home from which the three-year-old boy disappeared in 2014.

Police also seized a car that previously belonged to William's foster grandmother, who died earlier this year.

Last week, police charged the boy's former foster parents over an unrelated alleged assault of a different child.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting