Tyrrell foster parents move towards trial

·1-min read

The foster parents of William Tyrrell will face up to 10 prosecution witnesses and surveillance footage when a case unrelated to the missing Sydney boy goes to trial.

Evidence related to the prosecution of William's foster parents over the alleged assault and stalking of another child, as well their identities, are not able to be published under a gag order seeking to protect the administration of justice.

The pair have entered not guilty pleas to charges of common assault and stalking.

On Friday, a brief mention at Hornsby Local Court was told that the matter would next be listed on May 13 at Parramatta, where a hearing date would be fixed.

It was told that the hearing would likely last two days and up to 10 prosecution witnesses would give evidence, while each of the accused would call at least one witness.

There would also be surveillance material adduced by the Crown, it was told.

The 56-year-old woman would seek to make a "section 14" mental health application which, if successful, would allow her to avoid a criminal record.

The charges do not relate to William, who went missing aged three in September 2014 from a home at Kendall on the NSW mid-north coast.

In separate proceedings, William's foster mother was charged earlier this month with giving false of misleading evidence to the NSW Crime Commission and is due to face Downing Centre Local Court in relation to that matter on May 24.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting