Two new Covid cases in Queensland as NSW cluster threat looms

·3-min read

Two new local coronavirus cases have been reported in Brisbane, but the state government is more concerned about the risk posed by an outbreak in Sydney.

Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young says both new cases were in quarantine during their infectious period and being closely monitored.

There are now seven cases in the Brisbane cluster, all of which are believed to be the Alpha variant.

Six of those cases became infected after being in contact with a flight attendant at the Portuguese Family Centre in Ellen Grove and at DFO in Brisbane on Saturday before the woman tested positive.

Queensland's Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young looks on as Annastacia Palaszczuk holds a press conference. Source: AAP
Queensland's Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young looks on as Annastacia Palaszczuk holds a press conference. Source: AAP

Dr Young says she's more concerned about people from NSW bringing the Delta virus variant into the state.

"We are continuing to see cases in NSW, so it is really important, that we could have a case in Queensland any day," she said.

"So please as Queenslanders have been doing for now the last 18 months if you have any symptoms at all, immediately come forward and get tested and isolate until you get a negative result."

Health Minister Yvette D'Ath said border declaration passes would become mandatory for anyone who had been in NSW, including border regions, from 1am on Monday.

Dr Young urged Queenslanders to reconsider plans to travel to NSW because infectious people from Sydney could be anywhere in that state and exposure sites could grow.

"People should really reconsider their need to go anywhere in NSW," she said.

"If it's urgent, unavoidable, of course they should travel, but if it's not perhaps they should think about holidaying in Queensland."

PM offers up 1000-bed quarantine facility near airport

Meanwhile, the Queensland government is considering a federal proposal for a mass Covid-19 quarantine facility near Brisbane Airport.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison is offering to pay for the 1000-bed facility on the site of the Damascus Barracks at Pinkenba.

Under the proposal, the state government would build and operate the hub.

The Pinkenba plan puts the state's proposed quarantine facility at Wellcamp Airport, near Toowoomba, in doubt.

The Wagner Corporation wants to build a facility that would host up to 1000 travellers and 300 staff at Wellcamp.

A verbal stoush between the governments over the Wagner proposal has been running since January.

"It's taken them five months to not give us an answer on Wellcamp," Deputy Premier Steven Miles said on Friday

"We've had this (proposal) for 12 hours so we'll get to work now on it.

"It will depend how complex it is, as I say there are a whole range of ... planning issues."

The prime minister's office is keen on the site as it's close to the international airport.

It's also near three major hospitals that are equipped to treat and isolate Covid-19 cases.

If the two governments can strike a deal, the new facility would be operating by early 2022.

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting