Two more charged over Ciano murder bid

Julia Carlisle

Two more men have been charged over the botched 2015 conspiracy to murder former Rebels bikie gang member Ricky Ciano, who was found dead two years later in the back of a luxury car in central west NSW.

The body of 35-year-old Ciano was discovered in a BMW on the side of a rural road near Oberon on Valentine's Day last year.

His family had reported him missing a day earlier, with NSW Police later confirming a suspicious overdose claimed Mr Ciano's life.

"We are continuing to piece together his movements over the weekend, but based on the information we have gathered, the conspiracy is not related to his death," Homicide Squad Commander, Detective Superintendent Scott Cook said on Wednesday.

Two years earlier Mr Ciano had severed ties with the Rebels outlaw motorcycle club and nearly paid for it with his life when a hitman pretending to deliver a pizza knocked on the door of Mr Ciano's Central Coast home but he refused to open it.

Senior Rebels member Abuzar Sultani, who was arrested in 2016 over the execution of Sydney underworld figure Pasquale Barbaro, is accused of plotting to kill Mr Ciano at Wamberal in August 2015.

On Tuesday, two men, aged 25 and 29, who are serving time at prisons in Newcastle and Goulburn, were charged with conspiring and agreeing to murder.

The pair appeared at local courts and will reappear at Burwood Local Court on June 7.

The new charges are among hundreds laid against more than 20 people following investigations by the homicide squad and Strike Force Raptor, which has been looking into the activities of the Burwood Chapter of the Rebels OMCG and their associates.

"This includes a strong focus on the links between groups, as well as those who associate with - and between - the groups," Det Supt Cook said.