Tragic twist as second Aussie dies after Halloween stampede

A second Australian has died following the horrific Halloween stampede in Seoul last month.

Justina Cho, 28, died on Sunday after succumbing to injuries sustained in the crush that killed more than 150 people. The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade said it was providing assistance to the woman's family.

In a tragic twist, it’s been revealed that Ms Cho had attended the festivities with friends, including Sydney film production assistant Grace Rached, who was also killed.

Justina Cho, 28, who died after being crushed in Seoul.
Justina Cho, 28, died on Sunday after succumbing to injuries sustained in the crush in Seoul. Source: 9News

Their friend Nathan Taverniti, who posed for a photo with both women before the disaster, described it as a slow and agonising crush. "This crush was not caused by drunk people," Mr Taverniti said in a TikTok post after the incident. "It was caused by a lack of planning, police force and emergency service."

Sister's heartbreaking tribute

Ms Cho moved to South Korea just over three months ago with dreams of starting her own fashion label, her sister, Julia, said in a heartbreaking statement on her family’s behalf.

“Her life was changed overnight due to an incident that could've so easily been prevented. Her doctor said it was a miracle that her heartbeat returned once in hospital and that she must have wanted to wait until her family could come see her before she said goodbye forever,” she said, News.com.au reported.

Justina Cho, 28, and Grace Rached pictured with friends at the Halloween event.
Justina Cho, 28, and Grace Rached had attended the festivities in Seoul together. Both Australian women were killed. Source: 9News

“She is the most resilient person I have ever known, even till her last breath she took care of our family and allowed us to say goodbye.”

Julia described the 28-year-old as a “loving”, “wise”, and “free-spirited soul” who always put others’ needs before her own. “We know she is so deeply loved by so many people and it shows just how big her heart was,” she said.

Another 200 people were injured in the Halloween crowd crush. South Korean President Yoon Suk-yeol has apologised for the disaster and pledged to hold those responsible to account.

with AAP

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.