Twin girls, 4, die in house fire near Byron Bay

·1-min read

Twin girls have died following a house fire thought to have started after a candle was left burning in northern NSW.

Emergency services were called to the single-storey residence at Goonengarry, west of Byron Bay, just after 4am on Sunday after reports two children were suffering from smoke inhalation.

Police and ambulance paramedics performed CPR on both four-year-olds but they were unable to be revived.

Stock image of fire and police emergency services at a scene of a fire. Source: AAP
Emergency services were called to the single-storey residence at Goonengarry just after 4am. Source: AAP

A woman is also being treated for shock.

The building is part of a multiple-occupancy community, police say.

Detectives will work with fire investigators to determine the cause of the blaze but initial reports suggest a candle may have been left burning inside the home.

More to come.

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting