Reds axe Vunivalu for Super Rugby opener

·2-min read

High-profile Queensland Reds NRL recruit Suliasi Vunivalu has been fined and dropped just days out from his would-be Super Rugby AU debut for allegedly assaulting a security guard at a Brisbane pub.

The Reds on Tuesday said Vunivalu allegedly pushed a security guard, but a Queensland Police spokesperson told AAP it will be alleged an intoxicated Vunivalu "struck the victim in the face".

The 25-year-old has been charged with common assault over the January 30 incident and will face court on April 19.

The champion NRL winger had arrived at Ballymore fresh off a premiership with the Melbourne Storm as Rugby Australia's big-ticket item.

But on Tuesday an "embarrassed" Vunivalu fronted cameras to apologise after copping a club-imposed $10,000 fine along with suspension from Friday's season-opener at Suncorp Stadium against the NSW Waratahs.

He also received a written warning from the club but will be available for selection next Friday against the Melbourne Rebels.

"I'm embarrassed to be in this position and I apologise to the QRU (Queensland Rugby Union) and my teammates for that," Vunivalu said in a prepared statement.

"I apologise to the fans and rugby community, especially in Queensland.

"I understand the position the QRU have taken; they expect a high standard from players and I do as well.

"I'm proud to be part of the Reds and Rugby Australia and looking forward to the matter being resolved."

The incident occurred on January 30 but the club were only alerted to it "late last week".

"I am disappointed ... the earlier we know these things the better ... Suli's aware of that and that's factored into our decision-making," QRU boss Dave Hanham said.

"We've been able to agree to a set of sanctions that are appropriate in the immediate and once the matter's heard in full then we can reassess.

"It's round one with a new broadcast deal, new competition ... that's sitting on Suli's shoulders pretty heavily."

Vunivalu was implicated in an NRL integrity unity investigation in 2019 when he was allegedly a victim of a coward punch at a Bali nightspot that sparked a wild brawl involving former Storm teammate Nelson Asofa-Solomona.

The 25-year-old had already spent time in camp with the Wallabies and is considered an immense talent likely to feature in national coach Dave Rennie's plans ahead of the 2023 World Cup.

Rugby Australia's performance boss Scott Johnson described it as a minor incident and said it wouldn't ruin his Wallabies aspirations.

"It does (send a message) and it supports the culture Queensland's trying to have here," Johnson said.

"(Coach) Brad's (Thorn) put his foot down over numerous years; these young men are role models in our community ... whilst this may be a minor incident in our sport we have high standards and want our players to adhere to that."