Trump team continue contempt ruling fight

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·2-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.

Donald Trump's legal team continues to try to overturn a contempt ruling and $US10,000-a-day fine over a subpoena for documents related to a New York civil investigation into the former US president's business dealings, saying they have conducted a detailed search for the relevant files.

A new, 66-page court filing dated Friday describes Trump's lawyers' efforts to produce documents sought by New York Attorney General Letitia James's office, which is investigating whether Trump may have misstated the value of assets like skyscrapers and golf courses on financial statements for more than a decade.

Trump has called the investigation a political witch hunt and recently called James, who is Black, "racist" and said the courts were "biased, unyielding, and totally unfair".

Last week, a New York appellate judge rejected a bid to suspend the fine while Trump appeals the decision.

In the recent court filing, Trump attorney Alina Habba said the responses to the subpoena were complete and correct and no relevant documents or information were withheld.

Habba conducted searches of Trump's offices and private quarters at his golf club in Bedminster, New Jersey, and his residence in Mar-a-Lago, Florida, according to the filing, but did not find any relevant documents that had not already been produced.

The filing also detailed searches of other locations, including the Trump Organization's offices in New York.

In a separate sworn affidavit included with the filing, Trump stated there are not any relevant documents that have not already been produced.

He added he owns two mobile phones - an iPhone for personal use he submitted in March to be searched as part of the subpoena, then submitted again in May, plus a second phone he was recently given that is only used to post on Truth Social, the social media network he started after his ban from Twitter, Facebook and other platforms.

In a previous court ruling, Habba called the contempt ruling and fine "unconscionable and indefensible".

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting