Defence has confirmed Australian troops were involved in a truck crash in Darwin overnight that left two personnel in a serious condition.
The incident marks the latest in a string of high-profile military accidents, including the killing of three US marines on Tuesday.
Northern Territory Police responded to reports an Army Bushmaster overturned at Howard Springs shortly before 9pm on Wednesday.
“Police and St John Ambulance attended. Paramedics have stated that seven people were taken to hospital,” NT police said in a statement.
“The matter is under investigation by Department of Defence and police will assist with inquiries where required.”
A St John Ambulance Service spokesperson said six ambulance units were dispatched to the scene, including two Intensive Care Paramedics.
“The crews transported seven patients to hospital, two in a serious but stable condition,” the spokesperson said.
“Another one patient was transported with moderate injuries, and four with minor injuries.”
The Department of Defence later confirmed in a statement that eight troops from Australia and Timor Leste had been involved in the crash.
“All received medical assistance and some were taken to Royal Darwin Hospital for treatment with non-life threatening injuries,” Defence said.
“Our priority is the safety and wellbeing of our soldiers. More information will be made available when appropriate.”
Military personnel began arriving in Darwin this week for the Australia-led Predators Run exercises, which included USand Timorese troops.
The exercises follow the deaths of four Australian defence members when their helicopter crash in Queensland during Talisman Sabre.