'Traumatised' mum’s warning after TikTok hack 'burnt her face off'

·3-min read

A mum-of-two has warned others not to try a poached egg recipe hack trending on TikTok after she was left with severe facial burns.

A “traumatised” Chantelle Conway, from Farnworth in the UK, has vowed to never eat eggs again after the painful incident earlier this month.

The 25-year-old told The Sun she has been using the microwave to cook poached eggs for about two years but will never again after it “burnt her face off”.

The method, which has been touted on TikTok as a foolproof way of making the perfect poached egg, involves placing an egg, water and a tablespoon of vinegar into a container and cooking it in the microwave for 90 seconds.

Chantelle Conway, from Farnworth in the UK, with burns all over her face.
A “traumatised” Chantelle Conway, from Farnworth in the UK, has vowed to never eat eggs again after the painful incident earlier this month. Source: TikTok

Ms Conway said on July 2 she was going about her usual routine and placed a raw egg into a cup before filling it with boiling water and placing it in the microwave for “five to 10 seconds”.

“When I took it out I put the cold spoon — as you normally would put a spoon in the cup to take the egg out — and when I put in the cold spoon it shocked the water because it was hot. So basically it has burst over my face,” she said in a TikTok video that displayed the horrific burns all over her face and neck.

“Please do not do [the] egg cup challenge,” she warned.

The 25-year-old told shocked followers that it was the “worst pain" of her life.

“It was so scary. It just exploded in my face. I was looking in the cup so you can’t imagine how much it hurt,” she said, adding that she could have been blinded in both eyes.

The 25-year-old is seen before the burns on her face.
The 25-year-old said she has been using the microwave to cook poached eggs for about two years. Source: TikTok

Many TikTok viewers shared their condolences and said they won’t be using the cooking method again after seeing her video.

“I know of a lady who lost an eye from putting an egg in the microwave. I wish you a speedy recovery,” one woman wrote.

Mum left languishing with burns for an hour

Ms Conway told The Sun she had quickly doused her face with cold water, a move doctors said spared her from third-degree burns.

She then called the father of her kids, Mark, while screaming in pain but he was not able to reach her for an hour.

"I was grabbing handfuls of cold water and chucking it all over myself for about an hour while I waited for my babies' dad to come and pick me up and take me to the hospital - I couldn't move away from the water,” she told the publication.

This content is not available due to your privacy preferences.
Update your settings here to see it.

"Mark had to help me get ready because I'd put a towel soaked in cold water on my face and couldn't take it off for even a second because of the pain.”

Mark took her to Royal Bolton Hospital, where staff gave her morphine and placed a jelly mask on her face for about two hours.

In the days since, her face has blistered and is starting to peel. She has updated the progression of her burns in several TikTok videos.

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting