A landmark partnership between NSW TAFE and Sydney's Basair Aviation College will give trainee pilots access to VET student loans.
HOW MANY TRAINING SPOTS ARE AVAILABLE?
* For the Diploma of Aviation (Commercial Pilot's Licence) there are 25 spots per class, and four intakes a year.
* For the Diploma of Aviation (Instrument Rating), there are 15 spots per class, and two intakes per year.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO GET A COMMERCIAL PILOT'S LICENCE?
* The Diploma of Aviation is a 12-month program.
* The Diploma of Aviation (Instrument Rating) is a six-month program, typically undertaken by people who already hold a commercial pilot's licence.
WHAT SORT OF PLANES WOULD YOU BE QUALIFIED TO FLY?
* The Diploma of Aviation allows students to fly single engine aircraft as the pilot in command (captain). These students may also co-pilot additional aircraft (multi-engine, turbine and propeller) following a certified endorsement.
* The Diploma of Aviation (Instrument Rating) allows students to fly a multi-engine aircraft as the pilot in command.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
* Diploma of Aviation costs - $95,900, comprised of: $79,000 (VET Student Loans) and $17,000 (Student contribution over 6 census points).
* Diploma of Aviation (Instrument Rating) - $36,000.
HOW OLD DO YOU NEED TO BE TO ENROL?
* Students can enrol at 17 years of age but must be 18 before undertaking the CPLA Flight Test in week 52 of the course.
ARE THERE PREREQUISITES?
* Students must provide a current Class 1 Australian Flight Crew Medical Certificate that costs $600.
* A language, literacy and numeracy test must be completed with students (level 4 benchmarks required).
* If secondary school has not been conducted in English, an International English Language Testing System overall score of 6.0 is required.
* An Aviation Security Identity Card is required, costing $200.
SOURCE: TAFE NSW