A 15-year-old boy has died just days after enjoying lunch with friends.
Luca Piscopo, from the quarter of Soccavo in the Italian city of Naples, visited an unnamed sushi restaurant in the quarter of Vomero with his friends on November 23.
The teen and his friends suffered symptoms of food poisoning, according to local reports.
While the others quickly recovered, Luca's condition continued to worsen, with vomiting, a high fever and diarrhoea.
Tests showed he was infected with the salmonella enteritidis bacterium, which can be transmitted by contaminated food and water, direct animal contact and sometimes from person to person.
Luca's GP prescribed unspecified drugs to treat the illness, but the teen's condition deteriorated and he reportedly died in his sleep on December 2.
His family found him dead when they tried to wake him up for school.
The public prosecutor’s office subsequently launched an investigation into the restaurant owner and the GP who prescribed the drugs to treat the illness.
On December 28, authorities carried out inspections of Japanese and other restaurants in the Naples area after discovering some health discrepancies at the restaurant where the teen ate, concerning hygiene, product tracking and their food storage.
Authorities are still awaiting Luca's autopsy results to determine whether his death was caused by food poisoning, medical negligence or another reason.
They will also look into whether the family has any unknown conditions or pathologies.
The investigation is ongoing.
Do you have a story tip? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.