‘Toxic trolley’: Distraught Mum blames herself for deadly disease cocktail her toddler caught on a shopping trip

A Gold Coast mother says a trip to the supermarket nearly cost her baby boy his life.

A day after grocery shopping Logan Wardrop became extremely ill.

The 10-month old was placed in intensive care, dangerously dehydrated and suffering from a potentially deadly mix of conditions including salmonella poisoning.

His mother, Vivienne Wardrop said she feared the worst.

Vivienne Wardrop says she blames herself for Logan's illness. Photo; 7 News
Vivienne Wardrop says she blames herself for Logan's illness. Photo; 7 News

“It scared me," she said.

“I would just sit there and stroke him and tell him everything was going to be okay, and I love him."

Logan is susceptible to illness. Born 11 weeks early, he battles reflux.

Doctors agree it is possible a shopping trolley made him sick.


“Trolleys see a great source of all sorts of bugs because you’ve got lots of people touching them and the you’re outside in the environment," Dr Dieter Jurgeneit from Gold Coast Public Health Unit said.

The supermarket says it cleans all its trolleys on a regular basis, including sanitising its baby capsules.

The mum of five does not blame the supermarket, and she says she is not after compensation.

However she wants grocery stores to provide antibacterial wipes for trolleys and for parents to use them.

Doctors say it is plausible that Logan Wardrop became ill because of a shopping trolley. Photo: Supplied
Doctors say it is plausible that Logan Wardrop became ill because of a shopping trolley. Photo: Supplied

“I’m not blaming anyone,” Ms Wardrop said.

“If anything it’s my own fault for not thinking abut wiping it down, for not protecting my child.”

She says she will in the future.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting