Toddler killed by brain-eating amoeba at water park

·1-min read

A toddler has died after he contracted a brain-eating amoeba from a public waterpark.

Bakari Willliams, 3, from Texas, fell ill on September 5, a day after visiting Don Misenhimer Park’s kiddy pool, CNN reports.

Bakari’s mum Kayla Mitchell told CNN she knew something was wrong immediately.

“All he wanted to do was lay down,” she said.

Bakari Williams, 3, is pictured.
Bakari Williams, 3, died after contracting a brain-eating amoeba. Source: GoFundMe

His parents told the station their little boy contracted naegleria fowleri amoeba. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed he caught it from the park. He died on September 11.

Bakari’s dad Tariq said his son “was a loving, energetic, passionate, sweet, beautiful, innocent boy”.

The small pool at the park has since been closed. The family is now suing the City of Arlington claiming his death was caused by negligence.

Don Misenhimer Park’s kiddy pool is pictured.
Don Misenhimer Park’s kiddy pool where Bakari caught the amoeba. Source: Arlington Parks and Recreation (file pic)

Others have died after contracting the same species of brain-eating amoeba from water.

David Pruitt, 7, of Tehama County in California’s north, died from primary amoebic meningoencephalitis, or PAM, on August 7, his aunt Crystal Hayley said.

David contracted the amoeba from a lake.

Josiah McIntyre, 6, from Texan city Lake Jackson also contracted it and died but it’s not clear how he caught his amoeba.

Tanner Lake Wall, 13, died on August 2, 2020, after going for a dip at a North Florida campground. He too contracted naegleria fowleri.

Do you have a story tip? Email:

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting