Toddler dies after running into burning home to save puppy

A toddler has died trying to save his pet dog from a house fire.

One-year-old Loki Sharp of Gentry in the US state of Arkansas ran into a burning home on Saturday (local time), New York Daily News reports.

He later died in hospital. His puppy died too.

Loki Sharp, 1, died after running back into a house fire to save his dog. Source: KFSM

Deshay Wilson, Loki’s mum, told KFSM, the family were trying to put the fire out when the toddler ran back inside to save the six-month-old pup.

“There’s actually prints on the carpet of where she laid beside him, to try and save him from the fire," she told KFSM.

"They basically tried to save each other.”

Loki held by his mum Deshay Wilson. His dad Kurtis Sharp is also pictured. Source: Facebook/ KD Sharp

GoFundMe page has been created to help the family following Loki’s death.

Gentry Fire Chief Vester Cripps told the publication it’s believed the fire was caused by an electrical fault.

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on FacebookInstagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.