Toddler who died in hot car was left 'for up to two hours'
A 22-month-old boy who died after being left inside a hot car in Sydney’s west on Sunday afternoon may have been there for up to two hours.
The toddler, a twin and one of six children, had been in the care of his grandmother and other relatives while his mother was out.
He was found about 3.30pm in the car outside the home on Ohagan Street in Chester Hill after he was noticed missing from inside the house.
All six children are understood to have been in their care at the time of the incident.
The family has told police they returned home around 1pm but didn’t discover the toddler was missing until his eight-year-old sister raised the alarm shortly after 3pm.
NSW Ambulance paramedics arrived at the scene but the 22-month-old child could not be revived.
Temperatures in the suburb reached nearly 35 degrees on Sunday.
The boy’s mother returned home after hearing the shocking news and broke down.
She was consoled by relatives and police, who spent the night at the scene.
Another woman, believed to be the boy’s grandmother, was treated for shock by paramedics.
The car was taken away to be forensically examined on Sunday night.
Police are investigating if a breakdown in communication within the family led to the tragedy.
Anyone with information about this incident is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or use the online reporting page.
Stay up to date with the latest news with Yahoo7’s daily newsletter. Sign up here.