Toddler rushed to hospital after grandma confuses hand sanitiser for food

·2-min read

An 18-month-old boy has been rushed to hospital after his grandmother accidentally handed him a pouch of hand sanitiser instead of food.

The toddler’s mum issued a stern warning about the mix-up to other parents and encouraged them not to buy sachets of hand sanitiser because they look so similar to baby food pouches.

“Please DO NOT buy these cute hand sanitiser pouches from Wal-Mart that can easily be mistaken for a food pouch,” Nikki Teixeira posted on Facebook in August.

The mum explained the grandmother took the pouch out of her son’s diaper bag, which is where his snacks are usually stored.

A stock image of a girl squirting sanitiser into her hand.
The toddler’s mum issued a stern warning about the mix-up to other parents and encouraged them not to buy sachets of hand sanitiser. Source: Getty

She mistook the hand sanitiser for purée and gave it to the 18-month-old, who took a sip before being taken to hospital in an ambulance.

“He took a sip and immediately turned red and started coughing, so she grabbed it from him and then immediately saw it was hand sanitiser," Ms Teixeira told Good Morning America.

"She [the grandmother] called her neighbour and called 911 because he started to get a little bit dozy and out of it, and then five minutes later he was falling asleep.”

The boy didn’t suffer any ongoing symptoms after ingesting the hand sanitiser, though his mother admitted he was irritable and didn’t have an appetite for a day.

Pictured is the colourful pouch of sanitiser.
Ms Teixeira said all the medical professionals who saw the pouch of hand sanitiser were “appalled” to see how similar it looked to food packaging. Source: Facebook

Ms Teixeira said she had bought the Trollz-branded hand sanitiser for her step-daughter who was heading back to school amid COVID.

“The way it was packaged and displayed with hand sanitisers, I didn't even think of it looking like a food,” she said.

Ms Teixeira said all the medical professionals who saw the pouch of hand sanitiser were “appalled” to see how similar it looked to food packaging.

“The ER doctor even took it upon herself to send a picture to her colleague who works with poison control in attempt to raise awareness,” the mum explained.

Smart Care, the brand that sold the hand sanitiser, has since pulled the product from the shelves, Good Morning America reported.

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting