SIGN UP for our newsletter ✉️ :

Get the latest stories delivered straight to you

Timeline of Aishwarya Aswath's hospital death



Thursday, April 1

* Seven-year-old Aishwarya attends the last day of the school term. She plays soccer with her father Aswath in the evening and they walk to get icecream.

Friday, April 2

* Aishwarya complains of a headache. She vomits several times. Her parents give her Panadol and fluids.

Saturday, April 3

* Aishwarya wakes up complaining of limb soreness. She appears very weak and suffers diarrhoea but manages to have some cereal and hydrolyte.

* 5.00pm - Aishwarya's mother Prasitha notices the girl's hands are unusually cold. The family decide to go to hospital.

* 5.32pm - Aishwarya and her family arrive at the Perth Children's Hospital emergency department. She is observed through a screen by a triage nurse.

* 5.35pm - She is given a triage score of four - the second-least serious category - recommending treatment within 60 minutes. The family enter a waiting room.

* 5.41pm - Prasitha expresses concerns about white spots on Aishwarya's eyes. Junior doctor Tony Teo inspects the girl but does not make any notes. Dr Teo later testifies he didn't have access to the triage notes and was unaware of her other symptoms.

* 5.51pm - Prasitha again seeks help. Registered nurse Tahnee Vining inspects Aishwarya, noting she has an elevated heart rate, respiratory rate and temperature of 38.8C and is grunting in pain. The nurse records family concern as "zero". She does not consider sepsis despite being required to under hospital protocols. She is called away to help other patients.

* 6.43pm - Ms Vining completes a verbal handover with nurse Caitlin Wills, recommending pain relief and fluids.

* 7.00pm - Laying down on the waiting room couch, Aishwarya tells her parents she feels like she is falling. Her speech is increasingly faint.

* 7.05pm - Aishwarya is assessed by Ms Wills. She observes the girl to have a blank stare. She is floppy and unable to lift her arms or her neck.

* 7.09pm - ED consultant William Hollaway sees Aishwarya and moves her immediately to a treatment pod.

* 7.18pm - The rapidly deteriorating girl is moved by stretcher to a resuscitation area. She goes into cardiac arrest. Doctors try desperately to save her.

* 9.04pm - Aishwarya is pronounced dead. A post-mortem later identifies the cause of death as a sepsis infection related to group A streptococcus.

Monday, April 6

* Then-health minister Roger Cook requests an urgent briefing on the circumstances of Aishwarya's death after her parents tell media their concerns were ignored by hospital staff.

Wednesday, May 12

* Mr Cook apologises on behalf of the state government, saying Aishwarya should have received better care. He claims staff shortages did not contribute to the incident and fends off calls for his resignation.

Thursday, May 20

* Healthcare unions express fury after junior staff at Perth Children's Hospital are referred to the medical watchdog over Aishwarya's death.

Tuesday, May 25

* Staff rally outside Perth Children's Hospital, urging the government to act on safety and resourcing concerns.

Tuesday, November 9

* An independent report finds hospital staff were "exhausted and demoralised" and waiting areas "suboptimally staffed" in the lead-up to Aishwarya's death.


Thursday, August 11

* Perth Children's Hospital boss Aresh Anwar resigns weeks before an inquest begins into Aishwarya's death.

Friday, September 2

* Deputy State Coroner Sarah Linton concludes the inquest after hearing evidence from more than 20 witnesses.


Friday, February 24

* Ms Linton finds there is a small chance Aishwarya's life could have been saved. She finds staff missed the signs of sepsis because of pressures caused by "inadequate" staffing.