TikTok prankster handed video ban after ‘stupid’ home invasion stunt
A TikTok prankster who filmed himself invading a family’s home has apologised for the “stupid” stunt as he was handed a two-year video ban.
Bacari-Bronze O’Garro, 18, who is known on social media as ‘Mizzy’, posted the clip of the incident online, saying: “Walking into random houses, let’s go” and walking towards a family home.
The teenager, from Hackney, is behind a series of spoofs including stealing a woman’s dog, ripping up library books and jumping into strangers’ cars.
Thames magistrates court heard the mother of the family in the video believe they were put “at risk” in the May 15 stunt, and O’Garro has apologised for his actions.
He admitted failing to comply with a community protection notice, and was handed a £200 fine plus £165 in costs and fees by District Judge Charlotte Crangle.
She also imposed a two-year criminal behaviour order, banning O’Garro from trespass or uploading videos to social media without the permission of all those who feature in the footage.
“I have seen the footage and I can see exactly why the people who lived in that house were so upset and distressed on that day”, said the judge.
“I am reassured by the fact that you have expressed remorse, and have gone back and apologised to them.
“I hope that time in custody has given you time to reflect on your behaviour.”
Outlining the case, prosecutor Varinder Hayre said: “On 15 May the defendant attended the address of the victim. The woman was cleaning the patio when he entered her home.
“Mr O’Garro walked into the property and walked down the stairs. He was stopped by the homeowner.
“Mr O’Garro went to the living room and sat on the sofa.
“He asked: ‘Is this where the study group is.’
“He was asked to leave multiple times by both the victim and her husband,” said Mr Hayre.
“He ignored their request and carried on walking in their home address.
“The following day it turned out that he had filmed the whole incident.
“It had been circulated on social media.
“The victim was unaware that Mr O’Garro was recording the incident.
“He captured the faces of her husband and children. She strongly feels he put her family at risk.”
Lee Sergent, representing O’Garro, said he is “sorry” for the incident.
“He never intended to cause any distress or upset by his actions”, he said.
“It is fair to say that he believed what he was doing was a harmless prank.
“He has now had the opportunity to reflect and realises that what he did was very stupid and very wrong and acknowledges it must have been extremely upsetting for the family whose house he entered.
“The problem with social media is that content is celebrated not based on its quality or social value but on the quantity of likes and followers.”
Mr Sergent added that O’Garro was “egged on to a certain degree to do ever more content to gain more likes and followers.”
Detective Chief Superintendent James Conway of the Central East Command Unit added: “I do not underestimate the widespread upset, distress and concern that these videos caused.
“Some people have referred to these as ‘prank’ videos, but I hope that this significant development demonstrates just how seriously we have been taking this investigation since this footage began circulating online.
“A number of these videos were produced, impacting on many different people and our investigation remains ongoing as we seek to build a strong picture of both the activity featured in the footage and impact on the public.”