Vic stab victim condition worsens

1 / 6

Three fight for life after Vic stabbing

Three people are fighting for their lives after they were stabbed in Melbourne's west.

The condition of a man badly hurt along with two women in a frenzied stabbing attack in Melbourne has worsened.

Three people underwent surgery and another is under police guard in hospital following the incident in Sunshine North.

Police were called to a home in Braim Street just after 4pm on Thursday where they found two women, aged in their 30s and 60s, and a man in his 30s with significant stab wounds.

Acting Inspector Cameron Reinke said another man at the property, aged in his 20s, sustained injuries to his upper and lower body and was under police guard in The Alfred hospital.

"The investigation is in its early stages at the moment, but we want to reassure the public that it's been contained and there is nothing to worry about," Act Insp Reinke told reporters in Sunshine.

"They were all known to each other."

An Ambulance Victoria spokeswoman said the two women were taken to the Royal Melbourne Hospital in a critical condition with upper body injuries.

The older man sustained upper body injuries and was taken to The Alfred hospital.

All three underwent emergency surgery.

The older man's condition is now critical, a hospital spokesman said on Thursday night, while the younger man was in a serious but stable condition.

A Royal Melbourne Hospital spokeswoman said both women were now in a serious condition.

Police are yet to locate a weapon and would not confirm whether those involved were members of the same family.

Neighbours gathered at the scene told AAP they were surprised something so horrible could have taken place in the usually quiet street.

Others said they heard screams before emergency services arrived.

Neighbour Peter Pham was out with friends and raced back to the street.

"I was surprised when I heard the news," Mr Pham told AAP.

"I thought it was my family so I came down straight away.

"Nothing happens in this street."

Mr Pham said the house where the incident occurred is normally trouble-free.

"They're usually pretty quiet. I'm not really close with them but they seem OK," he said.

"There are no problems at all. You never see any issues over there. Nothing unusual."

At least three children, a girl and two boys live at the house with their father and another man, possibly the children's grandfather, Mr Pham said.