Three murder accused teens granted bail

Liz Hobday
·1-min read

Three of the teenagers accused of the murder of Melbourne teenager Solomone Taufeulungaki have been granted bail.

Solomone, 15, was fatally stabbed at Brimbank Shopping Centre in Melbourne's west on June 16.

Nine boys aged between 13 and 17 are charged with murder, as well as two men aged 20 and 23, over the stabbing, which allegedly involved a gang dispute.

It's the most murder charges laid over a single death in Victoria.

Justice Paul Coghlan ruled the three teens bailed on Thursday must not have any contact with their co-accused.

Also, they must not be part of a group of more than five people.

"Because as soon as you get back into those sort of groups that's when bail's going to be breached and create difficulties," Justice Coghlan said.

The boys are subject to a curfew and must attend school, but must not go near the shopping centre where the attack happened.

Justice Coghlan noted in a previous hearing that a Supreme Court trial may not happen before 2022.

"You might think about how undesirable you might think it to be to be locked up for that period of time," he told the teenagers.

Earlier this month, Justice Coghlan also granted bail to five other boys charged with murder over the attack.

He will hand down his reasons for these latest bail approvals on Friday.