Three dead in Afghan attacks, more wounded

·1-min read

At least three people have been killed and 19 others wounded in a series of explosions and attacks across five Afghan provinces.

The incidents, mostly targeting Taliban government forces, took place in Balkh, Badakhshan, Kandahar, Kunar and Kunduz provinces of the war-torn country on Sunday.

In the northern city of Mazar-e-Sharif, two people were killed and six others wounded when a minibus carrying airport employees came under attack by "enemies", the provincial police spokesman Mohammad Asif Waziri told dpa.

In the city of Asadabad in Kunar province, a bomb blast killed one Taliban member and wounded six other people including a civilian, local broadcaster TOLOnews reported.

In a similar attack, at least one child was wounded after a roadside bomb hit another Taliban vehicle in Faizabad city of Badakhshan province.

In the city of Kunduz, a health official said three wounded people were received at hospitals as a result of an explosion. The provincial police spokesman told dpa the blast had been the result of explosives placed inside a fruit cart.

Two children and a man were wounded after unexploded ordnance went off in the Spin Boldak district of the southern Kandahar province, a local official said. Some reports suggested a Taliban commander was targeted.

There has been no claim of responsibility for the attacks, but the Islamic State often takes responsibility for similar incidents. Other anti-Taliban armed resistance groups such as the National Resistance Front (NRF) are also active in the country.

The rival Sunni extremists have increased their deadly attacks following the Taliban's takeover amid the chaotic withdrawal of international forces from the war-torn country.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting