No bail after $900m NSW cocaine plot

·1-min read

Three NSW men - including a director of a national security-related firm - will remain behind bars after allegedly plotting to import three tonnes of cocaine.

Police allege Nikolao Misa, Mende Trajkoski and Gjelosh Nikollaj were part of a transnational organised criminal syndicate engaged in a conspiracy to supply cocaine with a potential street value of $900 million.

The three men - aged between 37 and 58 - were arrested on Thursday and charged over their alleged roles in the conspiracy.

Two were arrested in the Lake Macquarie area and another in Sans Souci.

NSW Police said they had cooperated with the US Drug Enforcement Administration after 1770kg of cocaine was seized during two separate interdictions off the coast of South America.

This cocaine formed part of the three tonnes of cocaine to be supplied.

The shipment was replicated by US authorities and allowed to reach its final destination in the Newcastle area, eventuating in the men's arrests.

NSW Police Assistant Commissioner Stuart Smith said the interest of police was first piqued when one man starting gambling millions through casinos.

Suspicious activity was later detected in Sydney Airport's cargo area, where two of the three accused were previously employed.

"This seizure, this interdiction, is the equivalent of a year's worth of cocaine use for the entire NSW population," Mr Smith told reporters on Friday.

"This is the largest interdiction we've conducted in terms of NSW."

All three men were charged and appeared at local courts on Friday.

Nikollaj and Trajkoski declined to apply for bail in Parramatta and Newcastle Local Courts respectively, and will face Central Local Court on June 18.

Misa was refused bail at Newcastle Local Court and will also face Central Local Court on June 18.