A snake came back from the dead to deliver a deadly bite to a chef, 20 minutes after he had chopped its head off.
The chef was preparing a dish from cobra flesh when the snake’s head bit him, reports The Mirror.
Victim Peng Fan had chopped off the head of the Indochinese spitting cobra, a rare delicacy in Asia, to prepare for making the special dish.
But when he went to throw the severed snake head into the bin it bit him on the hand, injecting him with fast-acting, deadly venom.
Police say Mr Peng died before he could be given life saving anti-venom in hospital.
Restaurant guests reported hearing screams from the kitchen as the tragedy unfolded.
"We did not know what was happening but could hear screams coming from the kitchen.”, said restaurant diner Lin Sun, 44.
"There were calls for a doctor in the restaurant but unfortunately by the time medical assistance arrived the man had already died. After we heard that we did not continue with our meal."
A police spokesman said: "It is a highly unusual case but it appears to be just an accident. He prepared the snake himself and was just unlucky.
"There was nothing that could be done to save the man. Only the anti-venom could have helped but this was not given in time. It was just a tragic accident."
National News Break