A 40-year-old father from New Zealand suffered a heart attack and subsequently died after participating in a popular social media game called the 'ice challenge' on Sunday night.
Willis Tepania from Kaitia, a town in the Far North District of New Zealand, is believed to have had a bucket of ice water poured over his head and then proceeded to consume a large amount of strong bourbon.
It is thought that shortly after Tapania fell asleep for several hours and then went onto experience a heart attack. It proved to be fatal.
Grieving family members have since warned against others taking part in the 'ice challenge', which involves the dunking or pouring of freezing cold water over the head and nominating others to do so over social media.
A spokesman for the family spoke to the New Zealand Herald and urged people to think before they act.
"If you're going to do the ice challenge, do it for the right reasons," he said. "Alcohol has nothing to do with the ice challenge.”
"Just basically think before you act, because one mistake and your life could be gone. All for what, a bottle of alcohol?"
"Is that really worth it?"
The craze has become synonymous with raising money for charity but does not usually involve the consumption of alcohol.
Money is raised through the spread of nominations through social media channels like Facebook, Twitter and Vine. Once challenged you have 24 hours to complete the challenge and donate to a cause.
If you accept the challenge, you must videotape your successful ice dunk and post it online.
It is believed that the footage of Mr Tepania’s particular 'ice challenge' has now been destroyed.