View Comments
Man charged over Balga stabbing
Forensic officers at the scene yesterday. Picture: Michael O'Brien/The West Australian

UPDATE: A 40-year-old man has appeared briefly in court charged with grievous bodily harm over the death of another man in Perth’s northern suburbs.

Nenad Simic of Girrawheen is accused of fatally stabbing a 50-year-old man outside a house in Balga on Sunday night.

He appeared briefly in Perth Magistrate's Court today and was remanded in custody to reappear next month.

Charges could be upgraded pending a post-mortem examination.

Police said this evening that a 29-year-old Balga man had been taken into custody and was "being questioned in relation to the matter".

The 50-year-old victim was found in a bloodied Balga driveway at 10pm on Sunday.

The victim's body and a blood-splattered car and wall were visible from Princess Road yesterday as police combed the area.

Police said the victim knew his alleged attacker.

The man's death is the third serious incident in the area in less than two weeks.

A home just 50m away which housed a hydroponic drug set-up was destroyed by fire on December 21 and a Duncraig teenager died after being bashed at the nearby Princess Wallington Reserve last week.

Resident Daniel Delahunty said he heard a neighbour shouting for their son after police swooped on the Princess Road rental property on Sunday.

"I heard an argument and screaming when the cops arrived," he said.

Mr Delahunty said there were several parties in the area on Sunday and a fight at Princess Wallington Reserve earlier in the day.

Police found a knife in the reserve on Sunday night, although it is not known whether it is linked to the man's death.

Forensic officers yesterday seized an item of clothing found in the reserve and cordoned off the area for several hours.

Neighbour and young father Nathan Middleton said he slept through Sunday's disturbance but now feared for his safety in the suburb.

"I was born and bred here and it's just been getting worse the last couple of years," he said.

"It's extremely sad, in the space of two weeks we've got two (deaths) and a fire, it's going south very quickly and if I could afford to get out I would." Others, including families with children, said they were scared to leave their homes after the incidents.

Police have called for anyone who was in the vicinity of the Princess Road Tavern or Balga Recreation Centre between 10pm and 11pm on Sunday to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.