Parents plea: Investigate Liam s death
Parents' plea: Investigate Liam's death

The heartbroken parents of Liam Davies have urged Indonesian authorities to investigate their son’s death and crack down on liquor bootleggers to prevent anyone else suffering methanol poisoning.

Tim and Lhani Davies also fear a delay in correct treatment cost the 19-year-old his life and want Indonesian medical staff to be trained on the signs and treatment of methanol poisoning.

The Davies have spoken out in the hope quick action will be taken and to warn other people travelling to Indonesia against having locally made drinks in the hope of “preventing this hideous crime from taking another life”.

“We hope that the Indonesia authorities aggressively investigate not only Liam’s death, but the many events where people have either died or been made seriously ill,” they said.

The Davies said the 19-year-old was a regular teenager who had enjoyed a few drinks with his mates at a pub for New Year’s Eve.

“Liam did nothing wrong, he was enjoying a few drinks at a bar like anyone else would; you simply don’t expect to be served a drink that is lethal,” they said.

“This could happen to anyone, it could be your partner, your teenage child, anyone.

“If you have loved ones in Indonesia now we suggest you contact them and make them aware of what happened to our son, so that they do not fall prey to the same event.”

A Canadian woman who befriended Mr Davies the week before his death has revealed how she was treated for suspected methanol poisoning after drinking with the Perth roof carpenter.

Mr and Mrs Davies said their hard-working son had travelled to Bali and Lombok to share Christmas with close family friends.

Liam Davies’ family holding a picture of him. Picture: Tim Clarke/AAP.

He and mates had also gone to Gili Trawangan, an island off the north-west coast of Lombok, where they celebrated New Year’s Eve at Rudy’s Pub.

Mr and Mrs Davies said their son’s friends had told them the teenagers thought they had been drinking imported vodka mixed with lime while they were at Rudy’s Pub on New Year’s Eve.

The alcohol had been in genuine bottles, lined up behind the bar, like any bar in Australia, they claimed.

On New Year’s Day, the boys travelled back to Lombok mainland to a friend’s home where they had dinner, a few beers and watched movies.

Later that evening, Liam became critically ill, with severe headaches, impaired vision and disorientation, they said.

He was taken to an international hospital where he was placed on life support and the Davies claimed his condition was mis-diagnosed as a brain aneurism.

It was not until he was in hospital in Perth that doctors diagnosed methanol poisoning and quickly started aggressive dialysis and treatment to remove the toxins from his system.

“Despite all their efforts, too much time had passed before Liam received the correct medical attention, with the metabolised methanol attacking his brain causing significant damage and swelling,” the Davies said.

“After ceasing all sedation and medication, a complete brain scan was conducted revealing that Liam’s brain was not receiving any blood flow and at 1pm on the 5th of Jan, he was declared brain dead.

“In the early hours of the following morning, with us and his two brothers at his side, we turned off Liam’s life support and said our final goodbyes.”

They say early intervention could have given them a different outcome.

The Davies said in honour of their son, they had spoken out to try to prevent other deaths.

They said the 19-year-old had been excited about the future and his aspirations to travel and see the world.

“He held very strong family values and was a man of honour and principle,” they said.

“He loved his mates unconditionally, treating them as extended family, bringing them into our everyday lives.”

The West Australian

Popular videos

Our Picks

Follow Us

More from The West