View Comments
Partner urges public to learn snake bite tips
Partner urges public to learn snake bite tips

It has been just over a year since Gingin man Michael Thorpe died after being bitten by a western brown snake.

Speaking publicly for the first time, long-term partner Tanya Adams has urged people to learn what to do if they are bitten.

Mr Thorpe, who was the last person in WA to die from a snake bite, was at his home computer when he was bitten on the foot by the baby snake on November 26, 2010.

Ms Adams said not a day went by where she and her daughter Jana, 7, did not think about him.

“(Jana) looks at photos of him all the time, they were pretty close,” Ms Adams said.

She described Mr Thorpe, a 43-year-old courier driver, as a “loud, funny joker which made him very well liked”.

“He was a true Aussie bloke who loved his daughter, worked hard for his family and loved to have a barbecue and a few beers with mates,” she said.

This Christmas was the second one the family had to spend without the doting father and partner.

“This year was a bit hard but we got through it ... we battled on,” she said.

Ms Adams, a kitchen hand at the Gingin Hotel, said the death made her reconsider living in a remote area but they decided to stay inGingin because Jana loved her school and she did not want to unsettle her after what she had been through.

She said support from the community had helped them cope.

Ms Adams said that, if bitten, it was important to apply a compression bandage and get to hospital straight away.

She said although this did not save her partner, she believed other lives could be saved if people learnt how to treat snake bites.

Ms Adams said Mr Thorpe applied a compression bandage and called an ambulance straight away, but his autopsy revealed his hereditary heart condition contributed to his death.