View Transcript

But right now, Nat has a Seven News update.

Thailand's army has seized power of the country's government three days after declaring martial law.

Seven's Asia correspondent Craig Leeson is in Bangkok.

Good morning, Craig.

What does this takeover mean for the country?

Good morning, Nat.

Well, it means the paralysis continues, to some degree.

We've seen six months of paralysis here with the fighting between the rival factions.

Now, we're not quite sure what's going to happen.

The military has taken control.

General Prayuth says he's now running the country.

But what does that actually mean?

Certainly the coup wasn't unexpected - martial law had been instituted for two days.

But it did come as a surprise at yesterday's meeting amongst the rival factions.

On Bangkok's busy Khaosan Road, foreigners - many of them Australian tourists visiting under martial law - walked the markets as the drama began to unfold.

At the Thai Army Club, the country's leaders had been summoned to a second day of talks demanded by the head of the Thai military determined to solve Thailand's political paralysis.

But something went terribly wrong.

At 4pm, more than 100 soldiers were summoned here to the Thai Army Club.

We're told that the doors at today's meeting were then closed and locked and seven significant leaders of that meeting inside were then led away.

The media also was kept behind those locked doors.

At 5pm, the military commander, General Prayuth, announced there had in fact been a coup.

TRANSLATION: Many of you have issues with each other.

I would like to tell you that I'm trying my best to restore peace and, please, don't be concerned for me.

I'm already old.

I will take responsibility for my actions.

Immediately following the announcement, the military shut down the country's radio and television stations and suspended the constitution.

A 10pm-to-5am curfew was implemented late last night but violence on Bangkok's streets has not been ruled out by the protesters, and many governments have lifted their travel warning to red.

The streets of Bangkok are very quiet now under this curfew.

Later today, there won't be any schools - they've been shut down, and won't resume until Monday.


OK, thanks for the update, Craig.

Dozens of students and police have clashed at an event at Sydney University attended by Education Minister Christopher Pyne.

Sunrise correspondent Sophie Hull is outside Sydney University.

Sophie, protesters tried to get inside the same building as the Minister?

What happened?

Good morning, Nat.

Yes, they did.

The Minister was due to attend an annual event - the John Howard Debating Cup, which is held at St John's College at Sydney University and hosted by the Liberal Club.

Around 90 protesters were trying to enter that building.

They were chanting terms of abuse and expletives about the Education Minister.

50 riot police showed up and had to get very rough with this crowd.

The crowd was very fired up and very angry in their actions.

This follows widespread protests and demonstrations around the country in the Federal Government's budget.

The deregulation of university fees, which would mean that universities can charge what they like for education.

Also, raising the interest on student loans and reducing the time in which student loans can be paid back.

Also, the fees for some courses are set to double.

Students are incredibly angry about this budget.

They seem keen to maintain the rage on this one.


Thank you.

A London court has heard how an Australian teenager walked up to Rolf Harris to shake his hand but was instead groped by the famous entertainer.

The woman, from Newcastle in New South Wales, was 16 at the time of the alleged assault.

She says she went to meet the entertainer at an event when Harris allegedly gave her a hug before putting his hand up her shirt.

He later allegedly rubbed his groin against the girl's mother.

The 84-year-old has pleaded not guilty to 12 counts of indecent assault.

A Melbourne man who's been in a coma for six days after being left for dead in a Bali hit-and-run has returned to Australia overnight.

Melbourne correspondent Rebecca Maddern is outside The Alfred Hospital in Melbourne.

Good morning, Bec.

What's the latest on his condition?

Nat, Nicho is fighting for his life, but now he's doing it surrounded by some of the best medical teams in this country.

His plane touched down at Essendon Airport last night - a flight that was paid for through very generous donations, through a very extensive media campaign organised through his family and friends, because he didn't have any insurance.

He was transported from that plane last night into a road ambulance and then driven here to the Alfred Hospital.

Just to refresh your memory, it's actually been a week to the day since Nicho was knocked off his bike in Bali and received critical head injuries.

He's been in a coma ever since.

A couple of his mates were at the airport last night to make sure of his safe arrival.

We're just extremely relieved to have Nicho back in Melbourne.

He's going to be in the best possible care.


We are over the moon.

Overwhelmed by the general public who have been so instrumental in making this happen.

I know the family is so grateful and thankful.

Nicho is in a very serious way, and the priority for doctors last night was to stabilise him, then work out exactly what injuries he has sustained.

They are now working through a treatment plan for the 43-year-old.



Our Picks