The West

I want to stay an Eagle for life: Naitanui
Nic Naitanui. Pic: Getty Images

West Coast star Nic Naitanui has confirmed he's chasing a long-term contract extension with the Eagles, but refused to speculate on the reported figure of $1 million per season.

The 23-year-old ruckman spoke to 7News this afternoon after a report from News Ltd suggested he was on the brink of signing a five-year, $5 million deal to keep him in WA until 2019.

Naitanui said his manager Paul Connors had been in discussions with the club but an offer had yet to be put in front of him.

However he expected the deal to be finalised in the near future, likely before the Eagles' round-one clash with Western Bulldogs on March 23.

"I've had discussions with the club and as I said there's just a few things they've got to tick off and fingers crossed it's done pretty soon," he said.

"I'd love to stay here as long as I can.

"If I get 10, 20 years I'd love that but I'm realistic with how long contracts are so five years or six years, whatever the club wants to throw up is pretty reasonable and I'm happy to go with."

Industry sources have long suggested Naitanui's new deal would see him become the first West Coast player to break the $1 million mark, with the coupling of his on-field exploits and marketing potential making him one of the league's most valuable assets.

Naitanui said for the time being he was leaving all discussions to his manager while he builds towards a return to football, starting with the club's pre-season practice match against Fremantle next week.

"I was looking to play this week but I think training was the right option," he said.

"I'm feeling fine, feeling ready to go, just got to get through this next couple of weeks of games and put my hand up for round one."

The West Australian

Latest News From The West

Qantas and the operators of Perth Airport are poised to strike a deal within days to allow the first non-stop flights from Australia to Europe through the airline’s domestic terminal.

The victim of the Carlisle siege is suing the estate of the man who took her hostage at knife-point in a bid to get compensation for the permanent injuries she suffered during the deadly police …

The children of Perth’s most recent fatal shark attack victim have broken their silence to reveal they want people to be put first to stop other families suffering the pain inflicted on their …

Struggling West Australians are putting so much pressure on Foodbank to put meals on the table the food relief group has to nearly quadruple its fundraising income — and corporate WA will soon be …

Popular videos

Our Picks

Follow Us

More from The West