The West

Sharks suffer wipe-out in grand finals
Richard Hadley looks down as Luke Blackwell celebrates a Claremont goal. Pic: Lincoln Baker/WA News

UPDATE: East Fremantle’s bid for a clean sweep of premierships in all three grades were in tatters at Patersons Stadium this afternoon as the Sharks finished the day empty-handed.

As well as losing to Claremont in the league grand final, East Fremantle saw South Fremantle win the colts grand final by 58 points, then Claremont run out 44-point winners in the reserves showdown on the back of six goals from Allistair Gillespie.

Gillespie was the main benefactor of the Tigers’ hard work up the ground, with his teammates running out the game much stronger than their opponents.

East Fremantle led at quarter-time but were outscored nine goals to three after half-time.

Claremont won 16.9 (105) to 9.7 (61), with Gillespie claiming the Merv McIntosh Medal as best on ground.

The Tigers kicked the first two goals of the game but East Fremantle hit back quickly, booting six of the next seven to take a 17-point lead to the first break.

Claremont regained the ascendancy with four goals to none in the second quarter and were a far superior side in the second half.

Brandon Franz and Jarryd Morton were unlucky to miss out on selection for the league grand final but were key contributors in the reserves for Claremont, finishing with 22 and 26 possessions respectively.

Livewire forward Max Duffy (four goals) and captain Kieran King (20 possessions) were among the best for East Fremantle.

Earlier, South Fremantle's colts kicked six goals to none in the first quarter and were never seriously challenged as the Sharks’ inaccuracy cost them dearly.

Top draft prospect Mason Shaw starred with five goals for South Fremantle in the 20.6 (126) to 9.14 (68) win.

Both teams had 10 scoring shots to half-time, but South had nine goals to East’s one.

Sam Rundle kicked five goals and Marvin Warrell three for the winners, while Joshua Simpson was the Sharks’ only multiple goal kicker with two.

Warrell, who had 23 possessions and kicked the ball inside forward 50m seven times, was awarded the Mel Whinnen Medal as best afield.

The win was South Fremantle’s second successive colts premiership.

East Fremantle suffered a similar triple heartache in 2000, when their three sides crashed in the grand final.

The West Australian

Latest News From The West

Popular videos

Our Picks

Follow Us

More from The West